Property owned by Mary Eke
Eighteenth Century hand drawn maps show pieces of land owned by Mary Eke.
One piece of land (on which a building is indicated), lies on the right hand side of Hingham Road (proceeding out of the village towards Hingham) just after the junction with Bow Street.
Another piece of land lies further along the road (again on the right hand side of the road) and a further piece of land near land referred to as “Lepp’s Field”.
Occupier Joseph Eke
The Statement of Claims of 1800 relating to the Great Ellingham Inclosure, reveal that Mary Eke was the owner of one messuage (a dwelling-house with outbuildings and garden) and six acres of land (all freehold) which was occupied by Joseph Eke.
The associated Valuation document (also of 1800) shows that Joseph Eke occupied two pightles of land (one being to the south of Lepp’s Lane); a cottage, outbuildings and garden and a piece of land behind; and two allotments – one in Lepp’s Lane and the other upon Stalland Common.
Whilst Joseph Eke occupied the land and property it was owned by Mary Eke.
Joseph & Mary Eke
The Great Ellingham Parish Registers reveal Eke (written in the parish register as Eike) families living in Great Ellingham in the eighteenth century.
Baptisms appear for children of Joseph Eike and his wife Mary late Groom: John baptised May 6th, 1792; Isaac on November 17th 1793 and Joseph (junior) was baptised on February 21st, 1796.
It is likely that this family occupied the cottage in Hingham Road. However, I cannot be certain whether the cottage (and the six acres of land) was owned by Joseph Eke’s wife or another Mary Eke.
Great Ellingham Parish Registers Norfolk Record Office PD/609. Also available at FamilySearch.org https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index?owc=4J8C-CB7%3A29627201%3Fcc%3D1416598
Inclosure Commissioner’s Particulars & Valuation Great Ellingham 1800 held at the Norfolk Record Office catalogue reference MC 2213/119, 941X7
18th Century List & Plan – List of common fields and land exchanges Great Ellingham – held at Norfolk Record Office catalogue reference MC 2213/117, 941X7
18th Century Plan – Stalland and Bush Green Commons, Great Ellingham – held at Norfolk Record Office catalogue reference MC 2213/116, 941X7