Postcards: (left) courtesy of Joan Barnard; (middle) courtesy of Carol Ewin; (right) author’s own collection
Despite some changes to the appearance, most of the buildings in the above postcards are recognisable today.
Over the years, this area around the junction of the Atteborough Road with Church Street has been known as ‘Timberhill’ and ‘King’s Corner’. Perhaps the name ‘Timberhill’ came about from the carpenter’s shop which was once amongst the buildings. It was known as ‘King’s Corner’ when Andrew King had his blacksmith’s shop there in the 1920s. The corner may well have had other names also associated with the trades or tradesmen.
I was fortunate to discover a very useful map from 1802 at the Norfolk Record Office. This map gives us a snapshot of Timberhill around that time, and provides sufficient information to identify the owners and occupiers of the various premises.
Extract from 1802 Map of Great Ellingham. Original held at Norfolk Record Office. Russell James Colman Plans. Cat. Ref. C/Ca 1/84. With kind permission of NRO
It is also fortunate that the numbering used in the Particulars and Valuation of Great Ellingham, as taken by the Commissioners for the Inclosures in 1800, corresponds with the numbering on the 1802 map.
- 283. Cottage and Blacksmith’s Shop and Yard comprised 0a 0r 6p owned and occupied by John Steel
- 284. House, Carpenter’s Shop and Yard comprised 0a 0r 27p owned and occupied by Samuel Barnard
- 285. House, Outbuildings and Garden comprised 0a 0r 16p owned and occupied by James Rose
a=acres; r=roods or rods; p=perches
Another survey was carried out around 1817-1819. Although the numbering differs from the earlier Valuation, it is possible to pinpoint the various premises from the earlier Valuation, revealing:
- 768. (283) Cottage and Blacksmith’s Shop and Garden 0a 0r 6p owned and occupied by Roger Yeomans. A comment on the page suggests that Samuel Pitts may have owned and/or occupied the premises, perhaps in succession to Roger Yeomans
- 769. (284) Houses, Carpenter’s Shop and Yard. 0a 0r 27p now owned by Jeffrey Warren and occupied by James Warren and William Warren
- 767. (285) House, Outbuildings and Garden 0a 0r 16p owned and occupied by John Rose
A further survey carried out in relation to the tithes payable in Great Ellingham c.1840, reveals:
- 768. (283) Cottage, Blacksmith’s Shop and Garden 0a 0r 6p owned and occupied by Roger Yeomans although, again a comment on the page suggests that John Vince may have occupied the premises
- 769. (284) House, Carpenter’s Shop and Yard 0a 0r 27p still owned by Jeffrey Warren and occupied by James and William Warren
- 767. (285) House, Outbuildings and Garden 0a 0r 16p. Owner and occupier John Rose. However, an additional comment suggests that James Rose may have purchased the premises from John Rose and occupied it
1799-1842 F W Horner, Records of the Surveyors to the Commissioners for Inclosure in Parishes in Norfolk and Suffolk. Great Ellingham (Act 1799) Norfolk Record Office. Catalogue Ref: BR 90/2
1802 Russell James Colman Plans. Great Ellingham. Norfolk Record Office. Catalogue Ref: C/Ca 1/84
1800 Inclosure Commissioner’s Particulars and Valuation. Great Ellingham. Norfolk Record Office. Catalogue Ref: MC2213/119