John Turner’s Property including the Decayed Mill
The Statement of the Claims for the Great Ellingham Inclosure (c.1800) included at No.13, John Turner and his wife Elizabeth.
John and Elizabeth Turner held and occupied one messuage (a dwelling house with land and associated buildings) and 40 acres of land. There was also reference to a decayed Mill. Along with other landowners, the couple also made a claim for various rights over the Common and Waste Lands in the village.
A Valuation Document of a similar date (i.e. c.1800), also confirmed that John Turner held a House, Outbuilding, Barn, Stable, Yards and Garden together with several acres of land and an Orchard. Some of the pieces or parcels of land are named. For example, Hilly Pightle, Claves Pightle, Prightsell, Long Four Acres, Picks Croft. John Turner also held allotments on Pennell Common and Hall Croft Field.
Although an 18th century map of Pennell and Anchor Commons in Great Ellingham, pre-dates the Inclosure Statement of Claim, it does show that a John Turner owned land which was adjacent to the south side of Pennell Lane (now known as Penhill Road) and near to what is now Penhill Farm West.
John and Elizabeth Turner’s Family
John Turner married Elizabeth Ellis in the Church of St James on 13th July 1769. Both John and Elizabeth were single, both of Great Ellingham and they each signed the Marriage Register.
The marriage was witnessed by Daniel Lister and Jeremiah Ellis who also signed the Register.
John and Elizabeth brought their children for baptism in the Church of St James.
Son Ellis was baptised on August 13th, 1769, just a month after the couple married (the pregnancy could well have been the reason for the couple to hastily marry by Licence!). The couple buried Ellis (in the churchyard) towards the end of that year.
Three daughters followed Ellis. Elizabeth baptised April 1st, 1771 followed swiftly by Mary on March 3, 1772 and Susanna on 25th December 1773. John Ellis Turner was baptised on March 3, 1776, Hannah two years later on September 6th, 1778, Ersham (a son) on December 2nd, 1781 and finally James on September 18, 1785.
On June 15th, 1808, John Turner buried his wife in the churchyard at St James. John Turner died in January 1814 and was also buried in the churchyard aged 71 years.
Great Ellingham Parish Registers Norfolk Record Office Reference PD/609. Also available at FamilySearch.org https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index?owc=4J8C-CB7%3A29627201%3Fcc%3D1416598
18th Century Plan held at Norfolk Record Office Catalogue Ref: MC 2213/114, 941X7
Inclosure Commissioner’s Particulars & Valuation 1800 held at Norfolk Record Office Catalogue Ref: MC 2213/119, 941X7